Monday, December 14, 2009

My 09 Music List

I have been very excited about this list for weeks. I have been drafting it in my head while vacuuming, or doing dishes. I like to pretend that the world has been holding it's breath, waiting for me to name my top ten favorites songs of 09. In reality, I know that no one really gives a flying f%#* about my opinion. Will that stop me from sharing it? Nope.

1. "Home" by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros
2. "Sun Hands" by Local Natives
3. "Compulsion" by Doves
4. "Fangela" by Here We Go Magic
5."All the Kings Men" by Wild Beasts
6. "Ready, Able" by Grizzly Bear
7. "Silver Trembling Hands" by The Flaming Lips
8."Winter Games" by Foreign Born
9. "Shelia" by Atlas Sound
10. "It Ain't Gonna Save Me" by Jat Reatard

As far as albums go, I won't make a list. I will say that my fellow Okies, The Flaming Lips, knocked that ball out of the park this year with "Embryonic". Also, Doves made a wonderful, very listenable album, "Kingdom of Rust". My boys in Grizzly Bear also made another fanfuckintastic album: "Veckatimest".
This was the year of mellow. What I wish for from 2010 are some dancing tunes.

If you have five minutes to kill, you should really watch/listen to this. I promise you won't regret it.

1 comment:

Alabaster Mom said...

"Home" has grown on me. I heard it on All Songs Considered right about the same time you mentioned it. Love Grizzly Bear and The Flaming Lips. Less familiar with some of the others.

The only new stuff I've purchased recently was "Gold Guns Girls" by Metric and another cut("1901") off Phoenix's "Wolfgang Amadeus" album.

I still think the best music of 2009 came from Neko Case, Animal Collective, and M. Ward. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I also love Florence & The Machine but I'm not sure if it's so much that the music is really GOOD or just catchy as hell.