Monday, December 21, 2009

Locked Out

A few nights ago, I attempted to sneak out to feed the animals. It was almost dark and Jason would be late coming home from work.Usually I would take the kids out with me, but it was bitter cold and we were all recovering from the flu.` I put the kids in front of the t.v. with some snacks, and slid out the door with the baby monitor in hand, so that I might hear any real catastrophes. There is a reason why single mothers don't have hobby farms, it just doesn't work. When I returned from my chores a few minutes later, the side door was locked. I went around to the front door, and it too was locked. Barrett was smiling at me through the window.
"Barrett! Turn the lock. I can't get in." I made turning motions with my hand and pointed at the door.
Barrett laughed.
I kept my eye on the situation through the windows while I filled some water buckets for the animals with the hose. I was hoping that Jason might just drive up at any second, and the problem would be resolved. Gunther was walking around, crying a bit, but he would stop crying when I talked to him through the window. Every time I banged on the door, Barrett would laugh. Oh, and did I mention it was about twenty degrees outside?

I finally came to terms with the fact that Jason was not going to pull up and rescue me. I had to break into my house. I walked around the house, and sized up which window would be easiest to open, or break. Most of the windows have an inner and outer window, and are not easy to breech. I remembered that Dan had broken the inner window in my bedroom recently, while yelling at a plastic bag blowing through the yard.Seriously. So, I would only have to open one window there. I got in pretty easily. Jason had left the ladder out for my convenience.

When I came in, Barrett acted as if I had been out having a fun adventure. Since I had left, he had removed his pants and his diaper. He had also pulled a stool up to the kitchen counter and had turned ON A BURNER. It was fortunate that he had only burned the bottom of my mashed potatoes and not lit the house on fire. He had also dropped some miscellaneous utensils into the the two pans that I had on the stove. I was in the process of cooking dinner when I went out to do my chores. I made sure to turn the stove off, but Barrett seemed sure that I had made a mistake.

Well....you might guess that I will not leave my house without a key ever again.

4 comments:

Poosha Kasha said...

Meemaw is sooo proud!!

crowson2000 said...

LOL. I have been negligent on my blog reading, but I know exactly how you feel on this one. It just takes someone getting locked out by the kid once to remember to always take your keys with you when you leave them alone in the house.... My problem is now if i sneak out he doesnt lock me out anymore, he just tries to come too when he hears me outside and most of the time he isn't even close to dressed for the weather...

Yikes on the burner thing though! Haven't had that problem yet thankfully.

Hang in there!

Allison said...

Oh my God! I am so glad everyone was okay, and also that you can find the humor in the situation. Some people would just freak out and cry about it. (Like me, for instance.) Happy Holidays!

Alabaster Mom said...

I always take my pants off as soon as everyone is out of the house.