Friday, May 22, 2009

Do They All Do That?



That was the question that I posed to my mother while we were both witnessing my toddler throw himself on the ground in a full-fledged tantrum. My mom thought for a second, and replied: "uh....yes. You all did." By "you all" she meant me and my two sisters. However, she did point out that my oldest sister, Claudia, was the best at flinging herself on the floor, and screaming in the grocery store. Thanks, Claudia, for setting a high standard that neither Mona or I could meet.

I guess it is something ingrained into the toddler psyche. Mama won't let you eat dog food? Fling yourself on the tile and wail like a banshee. That'll show that mean b*%#@.

It's actually a pretty effective means of getting one's way. I ignore Barrett's tantrums at home. If we are in public, and I feel one coming on, I will do whatever I can to stop it. Do you know how much random crap I have purchased in attempts to appease the kid? Fake flowers, two frisbees, toothbrushes that we didn't need (the kid has a toothbrush fetish), countless cheapo little toys. If I added up the tab, it would be enough for a vacation....or a down payment for a yacht. Whatever the price, it's worth it to not have to face the stares of strangers in Wal-Mart while Barrett screams "MAMAMAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and rips out his own hair.

I love having a fiery redheaded toddler boy. Good times.

4 comments:

Alabaster Mom said...

I threw myself on the floor because I wanted the Brach's candy at the check-out. If Mom had just purchased it like I asked . . .

Audreee said...

How did I know that you'd be the first to comment?

Nicole said...

Hahahaha, you are such a good Mami.

Mine get to scream. Plus find a corner in the store, tight up in the shopping cart. Buying something for a tantrum only if I want the same snack. lol

crowson2000 said...

mine hasn't gotten to the "throw yourself in the floor of the grocery store" level yet but it won't be long... he does go limp if he doesn't want to be picked up though, which I'm sure you've experienced. Instead of a tantrum he just tries to make you miserable instead: hair pulling, grabbing your hat or glasses, grabbing anything within arms reach as you walk through the store... the usual :-)